Sunday, April 1, 2012

Religion

Topic: Religion

Source: My life. I was at one time a religious person and many members of my family still are. I no longer believe in any gods because I think it is a bit strange to trust in an all powerful being that knows everything and does nothing.

Relation: Chapter four in the Robins text discusses religion. The text discusses the possible beginnings of religion. The explanation given is that religion could have begun as a way to explain how and why certain things happened. This is a great analysis in my opinion and provides a great explanation of why religion started.

Description: When I was younger I went to church on a regular basis with my grandparents. However as time went on I began to doubt whether a god even existed. I was told from the start that God was all powerful, loving and knowing, but why do such bad things happen to people who were good. I was told God was testing them. Why does an all knowing being have to test a person, God should already know the outcome if he's truly all knowing. This was my beginning journey away from the church and it only hastened as I took more science classes and continued to learn about biology.

Commentary: I personal believe that religion is a silly aspect but I also understand that some people need the comfort of believing that there is purpose in life. It does bother my however when religious people try to make others fear for their "immortal soul" by saying that their going to hell if they don't believe like they do. Another thing that bothers me is the fact that many religious people attack those that are different. This is evident with homosexuals. Many say gays are going to hell even if they believe because their religious text tells them so. However do they read their text? Jesus said to love your neighbor, not threaten him with eternal damnation. It is strange to me how some continue to believe in an all powerful being in a world where most of the questions that puzzled mankind have been answered by science. I hope that I don't offend anyone because I know that religion can be a touchy subject.
*Sorry for going after Christianity it is the religion I came from and thus the one I know most about.*

1 comment:

  1. I was raised as a Catholic but am not any more. I was curious if you ever had any residual feelings of guilt simple because of all that you were exposed to? I know I do.

    ReplyDelete