Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sex

Source: Sex is all around us. On TV, billboards, everywhere. A common saying here in the US is that sex sells. When you're watching commercials its usually hot women on the TV selling a car or a cheeseburger, or a guy for shaving products and cologne. In this sex saturated society its no wonder so many people have sex so early on in a relationship.

Relation: In Robins chapter 5 a lot of space is dedicated to the topic of sex. Many cultures see sex in many different ways. For instance in Mexico it is not discussed at all. Families don't talk about sex to their children. In America on the other hand sex is everywhere. Its weird though I can understand exactly where the families in Mexico are coming from. My parants never talked to me about sex and I did not have sex till much later in my relationship with my girlfriend. I do not usually disscus my relationship with anybody either.

Description: I have never thought very much about how much advertising companies rely on sex to sell their products, but as I was watching TV the other day I started thinking about it. They use women in car commercials and in every thing else as well. Now that I think about it it's in music as well. Singers are always singing about how they want to have sex with a girl or multiple girls. This is not exusive to one type of music. It is in all genre of music. Rap to country. It is even a theme in some oprea such as Mozart's Don Giovanni. I kind of lived a sheltered life. I mean I listened to music a lot but I never really had the sex talk like others did. Like I said my family didn't discuss thing like this it was a taboo. So when I finally got a girlfriend it was very awkward the first time. I had no clue what I was doing. It was very embarassing. Because of the way we veiw sex in this country it makes it easier for companies to sell theirproduct with sex.

Analysis: If you buy this car you will have more women than you can handle! Thats what the car company is telling men across the country. It works too. This is not a bad thing because it keeps the economy going. Its a way to move product. Carls Jr does it too. If you've been wathcing TV lately you've most likely seen the woman eating the jalapinio sandwich and looking sexy while she's doing it. This is just a way to sell the sandwich to customers. The music industry is like this way as well. They know that people what to hear about sex, so they give it to them. I think its a good thing to be open about things like this. I know that when and if I have kids I'm going to discuss sex with them and not be like my family was. I think young people should know about things like this early. Its not as if their never going to figure it out but it will make it easier on them if they already know something about sex to start with.

3 comments:

  1. So many companies use sex to sell. It's such a big part of who we are as humans; it is a biological imperative to have off spring so it's funny that we as a society are so shy about talking about the facts of sex. People brag about the number of people they have had sex with yet are too shy to talk about condom use. I think it’s great that when you have children that you want to make sure you have an open line of communication with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what you said Melissa, I also agree that it is really important that we explain the facts about sex to children. It seems in schools they only teach abstinence and show what can happen (horrible STD pictures) if you have it. It's not fair in my opinion to teach kids from such a biased perspective.

      Delete
  2. I was fortunate(or unfortunate) enough to have parents that preferred to be out in the open and blatant about sex but also the required sexual education program started in the 5th grade. It was called STARS (Students Today Arent Ready for Sex) and once we were in highschool the "arent" became and "are". This provided an environment where students were quite familiar with the knowledge with or with out having their parents stepping up to talk about it. This type of teaching provided essentially the youth of an entire community with the needed information to make informed decisions about sex.

    ReplyDelete